Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pink!

The daughter of my friend, Wendy, was turning 4 and she asked me to bake a cake and cookies to celebrate the Princess Party she was having.
Well, naturally that called for pink and lots of it.
I started out by gathering all of the pink items I had.
First were the pink quins..

Next were the jumbo pink hearts
and the sanding sugar in different shades of pink, along with the pearls and pink candy on paper.

I then mixed up an double batch of Royal Icing in white,
light pink and hot pink.

The day before I had baked the 4 layer cake and also baked several dozen sugar
cookies in the shape of butterflies and crowns.

I'm not naturally gifted in the area of cookie decorating so I had to try to think like a child and what they would like on the cookies. LOTS of sanding sugar and to cut down on the possibility of someone feeling as if 'their' cookie wasn't as good as all the others, had to be sure to put enough stuff on each cookie. You gotta be fair.

The crowns were fun and I'll be doing more of those later.


The cake was fairly large - 2 6-inch layers of white cake on top of 2 layers of chocolate cake. This is the chocolate cake recipe posted several weeks ago.
The white cake is from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Best Recipe.

Below is a photo of Skylar blowing out her candles.
It is possibly the sweetest photo I've ever seen.


A cake fit for a princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment