Monday, April 12, 2010

Opening Day!

You know Spring has finally arrived when you go outside and see dad's playing catch with kids and hear the unmistakable crack of a bat.

I just love baseball; not because it's the only organized sport I truly understand, but because it reminds me of all the years Honey Girl and I would watch her younger brother, Buddy Boy, play baseball. He was a natural, but after several years of playing two sports, baseball and soccer, soccer won. Buddy Boy hung up his glove and it was off to the soccer fields in the spring and summer.

His love of soccer never diminished my love of baseball and in celebration of America's Favorite past time I created these red velvet cake balls to celebrate opening day for the Texas Rangers.

Melting the royal blue candy melts came first...into the double boiler they went.
I also melted white ones.

I made a few jumbo sized cake balls and used big sticks for them. Dipped the cake balls into the blue candy melts.


The Texas Rangers "T" was cut out of fondant using a new exacto knife.

Some of the small cake balls were dipped in white and decorated to look like baseballs.



Unfortunately I don't have a very steady hand. The stitching is more reminiscent of Frankenstein than baseballs. Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?
But something is still missing...


Okay, that's better.
Go Rangers! I hope they have a great year.

1 comment: