Thursday, March 4, 2010

Multi-tasking

Lately I've realized that in my attempt to multi-task, trying to be oh so efficient, I'm actually making more mistakes.
Like dialing the phone, forgetting who I'm calling, and then leaving a voice mail message and using the wrong name for the recipient! Who does that? Only the people who are attempting to email, make phone calls and think about what they are going to do next, that's who.
So I'm in the kitchen last night, watching my favorite show, American Idol, and getting ready to bake some cupcakes for a customer, using a tried and true white cake recipe that I've done so many times the cookbook is not even necessary.
First mistake.
I'm mixing the butter in with the flour mixture and it's looking a little strange, but I thought, well, maybe the butter got too soft, but no big deal, right? Next comes the milk, egg whites, flavorings and things are looking a little better, but you know, something just isn't quite right.
The mixture goes into the cupcake liners fine, but it's looking like the butter didn't quite meld into everything exactly right - it's looking a little lumpy like it hasn't in the past.
So, what does a good baker do? You taste it, right?
Well, if I was making biscuits it would have been great, but when one is baking cupcakes sugar is what would be categorized as 'necessary'.
YIKES!
Oh my gosh...I wonder if I can scrape this mixture out of the papers, throw it all back into the mixer and then use this?


No.


I went ahead and baked them anyway, they were disgusting.
So here's my tip of the day: Don't watch your favorite show while baking for customers and
read the recipe before starting, every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment