Saturday, March 20, 2010

Easter Treats and Friends

After a long day in the kitchen I usually feel both drained and energized. Tired after standing for hours on end, and yet energized by creating something new and fun, and realizing that yes, there is a creative piece of me that comes out when left alone with 4 pounds of butter, lots of powdered sugar, and food coloring.

Lately it's Royal Icing that has my attention and I'm feeling more and more confident. The downside being that hours can click by and before you know it, it's 8 pm and you haven't started on dinner.

A client asked me to put together some thank you packages and one of the requirements was iced sugar cookies in bright purple and bright pink. No specific shapes so I turned to the season and created a variety of butterflies and tulips.
I think she'll be pleased with what was delivered to her client, along with cupcakes, cake balls and chocolate chip cookies. Someone better have a good dentist....



This week was also one spent with friends, a few are below. Several of us got together to have dessert and wine and it was a really good night.
I'm really blessed to have the best girlfriends who are all intelligent, fun, supportive and who genuinely care about one another. What would we do without our girlfriends? Thank you to all of my girlfriends who have been there for me through thick and thin. I was sad that CC couldn't be here, but she was with her mom celebrating her 89th birthday.

Earlier in the week I had experimented with the famous cake balls and came up with these in the shape of Easter Eggs.

Another experiment was with a pound cake recipe and I used the small bundt cake pan to practice for another client who will be sending out Easter gifts to her clients. These will definitely be a hit. A mug of steaming coffee alongside a moist, buttery pound cake..what could be better.
I am enjoying my quiet time in the kitchen, although it does make me tired. Mr. Man is stepping up and he did all of the laundry today, even folding and sorting!

Jordan asked for the buttercream recipe I follow - it is from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Best Recipe.
Enjoy!
Buttercream Frosting:
1 stick sweet butter (no salt) - room temp
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1 T. milk
1 T. vanilla
Blend together in a standing mixer using the wire whip attachment. Beat thoroughly. Scoop out evenly and use on cupcakes, cakes, in cake balls, etc. Can be tinted
Will keep in a plastic container, refrigerated, for several weeks.

2 comments:

  1. thank you sooooo much! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...do you ship to Fishers, IN...cause I dont think I can read this blog anymore without trying your finished products. It always makes to crave your sweets!

    ReplyDelete