Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chocolate Frosting

Yesterday I baked chocolate cupcakes and had them cooling their heels in a Martha Stewart cupcake holder; now it was time to make frosting and here's a great recipe from the Williams-Sonoma Cake cookbook which can be whipped up in minutes.

Here we go:
Start with 6 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted (I did it using a double boiler, that way I knew it wouldn't burn).

After it melts, allow the chocolate to come to room temp. Keep an eye on it - you want it to still be melted, just not hot.

Meanwhile, it's time to get the 1 cup of butter to room temp. Julia Child always beat the butter with a rolling pin to soften it and I've followed her advice for years. It's the best way to keep the butter from getting all runny and you can take out your laundry frustrations on the butter instead of on your husband.

Be careful not to beat it so badly that you tear the wrapping around the butter - just long enough to let it know who's boss.

Put the two sticks of butter into the standing mixer and commence with the beating. The recipe says to use the paddle attachment but I'm a rebel.


Measure out the confectioners' sugar (aka powered sugar). 7 oz to be exact.


Add the powered sugar to the well beaten butter and let 'er rip. You want to make sure they are fully incorporated.
Once that is taken care of, slowly add the melted chocolate and continue beating till light, fluffy and fully mixed.

And I actually wonder why I can't get rid of this muffin-top. Come on...I had to try it...

Beautiful.
I've been accused of being skimpy with the frosting

Not this time. I got out my ice cream scooper and put a generous dollop on top of each cupcake. Then it was time to decorate them for the holiday.
This recipe was plenty for the 24 cupcakes I baked.
There....perfect for Valentine's Day.


I'll use this same frosting recipe for a chocolate cake I'm baking Saturday.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment