Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Playing Catch-Up

Even though the past several weeks have gone by in a blur, they have at least been fun and productive.
 I tried out the tart pans CC gave me. They had belonged to her mom, Jane, so they are very special to me.
 A friend order 2 dozen cookies for a baby shower....Teddy Bears and
  ducks.
 And, I made a Strawberry cake, 4 layers high, for a dear friend's birthday...
 which provided a great learning experience...soft cake, like strawberry, begins to lean after a short time.
Diane enjoying her girlfriends singing Happy Birthday to her.

Throw in school, work, training and life and you get the picture. However, everyone is busy these days and my schedule does not get any sympathy from friends or family.  And their right...everyone is over-scheduled and over committed, so quit whining.

Last weeks class was the most terrifying to date. We were told, before leaving class Number 3, that we would be preparing all of the same 'proteins' (aka meat...chicken, pork, fish, shrimp, etc.), as we had been taught the week before, but this time we were going to have to "plate" the food.  That means not only would we be responsible for thoroughly cooking the chicken, etc., but we would have to take care with the presentation of the food and also prepare additional dishes to accompany the protein.  WHAT?!

I was so not prepared for that curve ball.  The class was split into three groups (tables), and expected to work together to prepare the 'menu', prepare the dishes and we would have 2 windows of time in which we would, as a team, take the food to chef Loy to be evaluated, and tasted.  Are you kidding me? 

It felt as if I woke up smack dab in the middle of a movie and had to figure out the beginning from just a few snapshots.  Gone was the hand holding and the kid gloves. We were out there on our own.

Our table did well. We presented all of our dishes, although they weren't all wonderful. We did get complimented on our braised chicken leg and the seasoning of our pork, but our plating and use of additional color and seasoning needs work.  I'm figuring out that risk taking is a good thing and that once we get really comfortable in the kitchen things may go much smoother.

This past Sunday I earned 8 lab hours by prepping for and working the Brunch that is held every other weekend while class is in session. Yesterday was the first Brunch of the semester and it went off without a hitch.  I awoke to the alarm clock screaming at 5 am and by 6:05 AM was driving down the street, on my way to school. Could not be late.

When I arrived, a few minutes before 7 am, the entire kitchen and dining room were a buzz with activity and I quickly threw on my hat and apron, washed my hands and checked in with Chef. Soon three of my classmates showed up and I was immediately at ease, cutting board in front of me and knife in hand, Dayna and Laura sharing the prep table with me.

All of the tasks were written out on two enormous white boards that are hung on the wall and I saw Chef  crossing tasks off as they were accomplished.  I was assigned to make the 'signature' Lemon Thyme Vinaigrette and Ranch Dressing. Then I cracked and emulsified 9 dozen eggs.  As I as cracking the eggs, two at a time, mind you, I was beginning to pity the poor soul who would be assigned to the omelet station.  You know how, at every brunch, there is a long line of guests waiting for their 'made to order' omelet, with anything and everything they want in it?  That was my worst nightmare. From the day I signed up to participate at the brunch I silently recited a little prayer..."Dear God, please, I am asking you, please do not put me on the omelet station. Thank you." 

As the morning wore on I tried to make myself relevant...I emptied trash cans, swept the floor, asked Chef what else I could do and tried to be as efficient as possible.  Soon Chef Ann was coming around with the assignments.  "What's your name?" she asked.  "Ginger," I answered.  "You are on omelets."  "Really?  Are you sure?"

Oh my gosh. Are you kidding me?  I honestly had to laugh at the irony.  There I was, cracking eggs for the sorry son of a gun who was going to make the omelets and all along, it was me.  Life is funny that way.

Later on Chef W. had me follow him out to the front and showed me how to make omelets using only the pan and lots of wrist action.  "You know why people love our omelets?" he asked.  Wisely I just looked at him.  "Butter. They love us because of the clarified butter."  Okay then.

I can report that it all went well, No burnt omelets, nothing brought back to me, no screaming or crying and the line was never out of control.  My life line was Jeff, a CP2 which means he has one more semester of experience than I do, although I don't think he had ever been on the omelet station. During the post-brunch meeting we did find out that three very large parties (20, 13 and 10), were all no-shows, so it could have been much busier.  And, one of the comment cards said "very fluffy omelets," and then entire group of students clapped and cheered.

I survived, learned a ton, and was reminded of why I love the food industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment