Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week 3 and other stuff

Tonight's class was exactly what I imagined Culinary School to be about. We pan seared, steamed, poached, boiled, braised, deep fried, pan fried, grilled, sauteed, and chopped our way through potatoes, fish, onions, chicken, pork chops, zucchini and I know I'm leaving something out but it's 12:14 AM and I'm tired. What a wonderful night!

I arrived at school about an hour before class and since I had already completed my homework and the required reading assignment, thought I would lend a hand to Chef Katie who was getting everything ready for our class. I washed up and then asked if I could help and fortunately she said yes. Easy stuff, yes, but since she's suffering with allergies deep down I believe she appreciated the help. I was also able to set up the sinks and get a feel for what we were going to be doing tonight.

Our 'teacher' tonight was a new chef (to me, new), and after having us all go into the kitchen to chop and slice up our carrots, potatoes, onions and celery, we all swore that we would practice our chopping skills at home this week. YES, I will do that. Oh my gosh...going out of town was lovely but now it's Game On and I need to be practicing something every day.

Next up was a lecture that took 1:10 and yes, I learned so much. We were then divided into 2 groups and for the next 2 hours we practiced cooking techniques. Amazing how well I cook at home, and then I am thrown into a situation where I'm having a difficult time determining which burner goes with which knob....ugh. My pan seared chicken was over cooked (should have trusted my gut); my sauteed shrimp...overcooked. My sauteed onions could have gone a little longer; the poached fish, uhhhh...overdone. Steamed carrots, good. Steamed shrimp...over done. Good grief. Things were going downhill and fast. I've never in my life poached an egg and yes....a tad overdone. Oh my....what in the world? I'm beginning to question my cooking skills, big time!

Round 2 and I'm in the main kitchen with the braising, grilling and frying.

Our group had to braise 3 chicken legs. Okay, I am all over this because THIS type of cooking I do, and do well. I assigned myself to the braising and did a really good job, with the exception of not adding enough salt. I can live with that.

Pan fried fish...nicely done. Breading consistent all over. A little over done around the edges, but overall good. Deep fried chicken tender...perfectly cook. Needed more salt before breading but otherwise, perfect. French fries...nice. Grilled zucchini...just a tad undercooked. Grilled pork chop...'nicely seasoned.' Need to not move it once it's on the pan and press down a little on side 2 to make good sear marks. Deep fried, breaded onions...the 'best of the night.' One of the chefs wanted them to eat! Whoo Hoo! I was so happy to have done something right.

Before leaving for the night we were advised to practice all of the techniques and to look at photos of plated food. Next week will be much faster and we will have to do everything again and meet specific timelines. Wow....I'm excited!

This week also has several baking orders for me to fill and I'm looking forward to being home for a while and cooking.

I love taking trips to see Honey Girl and Mr. Squishy and my wonderful, patient and delightful son-in-law, but it makes me wish they lived closer.

1 comment:

  1. You haven't been discouraged until a chef spits out your food...sounds like you're doing really well!!

    ReplyDelete