Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halfway there

CAUTION: unusually long blog - this is what you get when I haven't posted in 2 weeks.

We are halfway through semester 1 of Culinary School and I'd like to say that the freak-out moments are fewer, but that wouldn't really be accurate.  My life is insanely crazy.  Yes, that is like saying crazy crazy, but that is the only way I can describe it.

Two Monday's ago we focused on meat - fabricating (cutting into identifiable portions), beef and pork, and then preparing 5 'plates'.  This past Monday was vegetables which included 'mystery basket' and in that basket were vegetables that most Americans shy away from. From this we were challenged to prepare 5 meals.

Back to the meat.  What a night.  First it's an hour of lecture, followed by 15 very fast minutes of deciding what we, as a 'table', would prepare, and then executing to present to Chef during a specified time.  It all sounds so simple, right? Just go into the kitchen and execute.  Not so simple.  We all question ourselves and it's virtually impossible to taste every single thing that each of us is doing. I'm understanding that fast and accurate knife skills are critical because taking a long time to chop things eats away at precious minutes....minutes that you need toward the end of the class when you are panicking about getting your plating done and to Chef on time.  Points off for being late...gggrrrrr.  There's no one to blame but yourself when it doesn't go as planned. 

Fabricating the pork loin took longer than any of us would have imagined. What the heck is with all of that stringy, silver stuff all over the pork?  Also...use more salt than you think you need to use. I'm actually pretty good on the seasoning....my younger classmates have a fear of salt. We are learning. 

And don't be deceived by the friendly collard greens, fennel and cauliflower in the 'basket' which was really an ugly gray tub.  This Yankee had never even had a collard green much less done anything to them. With them. Whatever.  We are taking risks and learning, so that's a check in the plus column.

Trust your gut and remember that you can use every single piece of equipment in the kitchen with reckless abandon because there is a dishwasher on staff and he is responsible for doing all of the dishes.  I have got to get over that phobia and just focus on the food.  These are the things that go through my mind as I am driving home, while I'm sleeping, when I get up and when I'm working out.  I give myself a lot of pep talks these days.

Back to the craziness of my life.  After these 7, 8 weeks I'm getting into somewhat of a routine. This is how my week goes:

Monday - wake up. Coffee. On the phone recruiting. Workout at noon, shower,I'm pumped about doing better at school today, iron my uniform, eat, work some more. Leave at 3:30pm and drive through Sonic for a large iced tea which will jack me up enough to get through  the next 8 hours, school, back home by 11:45pm, shower, big glass of wine, read, bed by 2 am.
Tuesday - between 8 and 9 am stagger to the coffee pot, 2 hour workout, chiropractor, home by 12:30pm to work all afternoon. I'm tired, but muscle through the day because I'm working off of Sunday nights sleep.
Wednesday - this is the worst day because I wake up feeling like a Mac truck has hit me. Lack of sleep hits.  I am super crabby with a short fuse. No outside appointments are scheduled because I will frighten anyone who comes in contact with me. The 1.5 - 2 hour workout is tough, but I do it. Work conversations are as short as possible. Mr. Man is smart to keep his distance and wisely limits conversation.  Bed time can't come quick enough but I have a baking order that needs to be started. Begin to question my sanity.
Thursday - feeling human again; up around 7:30, good, long training day and then I'm on it all day. Baking order to finish but at least I have the energy to take care of it before and after preparing dinner. Am getting used to the ugly dark circles under my eyes. Sunglasses help.
Friday - Wake to the sound of husband in the shower and wonder how it can already be morning. Before my feet hit the ground already thinking of my training schedule and what calls I have to make and what baking orders need to be delivered.  Weekly client conference call at 8 am while having that first cup of coffee, back to the kitchen to finish packaging decorated sugar cookies, another phone call, and then off to deliver the cookies and then hit the post office to ship cookies.  To the Y for a 1.5 hour workout, to Walmart for Halloween candy, then back to the office to work and think about what to do for dinner. Thank God Mr. Man calls and suggests dinner out.
Saturday and Sunday are spent on long training sessions and either baking or practicing what we've learned in school or trying out new things.  Last weekend was Roasted Butternut Squash soup and this weekend I'll make a cheesecake for a friend and also prepare something to take to a neighborhood get-together prior to the Trick or Treaters coming out.  Mr. Man really liked the soup so I'll make that again and take some to school to count as one of my show and tell items that prove I've been practicing at home.

In between I'm trying to stay in touch with friends and family, do the laundry, clean, cook and be the June Cleaver I secretly want to be. Mr. Man's daughter, Ashley, had a darling baby boy two weeks ago and he's adorable.  My daughter, Honey Girl, is expecting baby #2 again in late March / early April and I can't even think about the logistics of that blessed event.  Our wonderful daughter-in-law, Jackie, graduated from the French Culinary School this past week. She's now insisting that we all refer to her as Chef Jackie and you know that I will because at some point I'll graduate.

Do you think I can get the grandchildren to call me Chef Gigi?

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment