Monday, September 13, 2010

Culinary School, Day 2 recap

Today was my second class and the topic was "Stock," which meant we were going to make stock and we clarified butter, but that was a huge second to the stock. I was grouped with two other delightful women in the class (out of 13 there are only 2 men), and when you are on a team that means that you divide and conquer, and that also means that you are the boss of you. Not the group. You. Ummm, yea. I don't think I like that.

My 45 minute drive home allowed me time to digest what transpired in class, to review what I did right/wrong, and what I would change next time. The drive allowed me a few revelations which, based on Mr. Man's reaction, are probably revelations only to me:

1.) I prefer working alone to working on a team.
2.) I am competitive.
3.) I have absolutely no idea how I am going to run my recruiting business, run my baking business, train for an Ironman distance triathlon and be successful in culinary school, much less do everything else I do at home and keep my family and friends in my life. What in the heck was I thinking?

Efficiency is going to have to become second nature to me. No more piles of Ginger stuff laying around the house. Touch something once and be done with it. Volunteering to do anything and everything is over and for one of the first times in my life I am going to have to really focus on myself.

Because my class meets only 1 time a week, a great deal of my success will be up to me. That means that everything I learn in class needs to be practiced at home. Practiced. Time set aside to chop, slice, cube, simmer, and stir. Chapters read, techniques practiced. Stock made.

This is new for me and to be honest, a little bit of a shock. But, better to realize this week 2 than week 12, right?

Three times a semester I have to participate in the Sunday brunch from 7 am to 3 pm. At the school, fed, uniformed, with my knives ready to do whatever Chef tells me to do. If I don't practice my inability will be front and center for everyone to see and hear about. Greatest fear? Getting yelled at for not making the right sized cuts of potatoes and carrots!

Now I'll try to calm down, finish my glass of wine and take comfort in the fact that Julia Child had so much to learn and learn she did. I will be fearless! Just like Julia.

No comments:

Post a Comment