Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This week

This is a crazy week, just like every week has been for the past several months. On Saturday, Corey McConnell, the son of one of my very best girlfriends, is getting married and I was asked to make the wedding cake and the grooms cake.

Corey loves key lime pie, so his mom, Vivi, and I decided to make little key lime tarts for the occasion.  The wedding cake was selected by his fiance, Terrell, and will have to feed 200 guests.  Oh my.

To say that I am thinking about this event non-stop is an understatement to say the least.

Last week I prepared my white cake recipe 8 times to create 2-13x2 inch layers, two 11x2 in, three 8x2 and two 5x2 inch layers, which are all wrapped up like Ft. Knox and stored in the freezer till Friday when I will take it all out, layer it with buttercream frosting and insert dowels so it won't shift or fall over. The color purple is going to be incorporated on the cake in the form of a long strip of fondant that will start at the top of the cake and then trail down the side of the cake.  The bride is also a fan of peacock feathers so those will also be incorporated into the design.

Yes, I am breathing into a paper bag every chance I get and will keep you all posted on the cake and post a photo of the final product.

This morning I baked 57 tart shells, and yesterday I made enough lime curd to feed the Russian Army. I'll need to make 100 more tart shells then they will be filled, stored in the walkin and topped off with whipped cream and a darling little sugar shamrock in honor of groom's Irish heritage.  That's a surprise for him.

Pushing myself to do things I've never done before is so much fun and making people happy through baking tops that.

No comments:

Post a Comment